eventOct 17 9:00 am - Nov 30 10:00 pm (GMT-04:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)·labelVirtual
Hosted by Sister Cities of Durham
Oct 17 9:00 am - Nov 30 10:00 pm (GMT-04:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Here you can discover the other 18 nations that are represented in Durham with restaurants and other businesses. Durham is a thriving international community and also has other international groups who enrich our city.
• Is mostly in the southern half of South America, as the world’s eighth largest country.
• The diverse geography includes deserts, plains, tundra, tall mountains, thousands of miles of ocean shorelines
• Home of the famous Tango Dancing. See below for Tango lessons on the videos
• Favorite food -- Empanadas. Favorite sport – soccer.
• Famous cities such as Buenos Aires
• Geography ranges from ocean beaches, mountain waterfalls, and amazing mountain ranges
• Durham Restaurant, Makus Empanadas, specializes in Empanadas
• Here are videos to introduce you to Argentina, and videos teaching you how to do the Tango
• The second largest country in the world in area.
• There are 10 provinces and 3 territories stretching from the Atlantic to the Pacific and into the Artic Ocean
• Canada has been described by some as a model multicultural society.
• For some Canadians in Durham, a favorite province is Nova Scotia
• Here are videos to introduce you to Canada
• An African nation which is the most populous landlocked country in the world
• Ethiopia has a long history relating to the origins of humans, ancient kingdoms, and beautiful mountain ranges.
• Enjoy a taste of Ethiopia at Durham’s Ethiopian Restaurant: Goorsha
• Here are videos to introduce you to Ethiopia
• This European country has a great array of medieval villages, beautiful castles, cathedrals, and the Loire Valley.
• And of course Paris, the “city of light”, with its many famous landmarks and museums.
• Enjoy the French experience at one of Durham’s Restaurants featuring French cuisine: Vin Rouge, Rue Cler
• Here are videos to introduce you to France
• Home of medieval villages, modern cities, famous museums, the Rhine river
• Famous cities such as Berlin, Munich
• Experience Germany in Durham by sampling the German dishes at Durham’s German restaurant: Guglhupf.
Here are videos to introduce you to Germany.
• Central America nation
• Home of the Mayan Indian Civilization, as reflected in the many Mayan dialects
• Durham’s Guatemala Restaurant, El Chapin, serves authentic Guatemalan food.
• Here are videos to introduce you to Guatemala
• A Central America Nation, with 3/4s of the land area being mountainous.
• Their history includes sharing in the Mayan culture of Central America
• You can sample Honduras dishes at Durham’s La Cacerola Restaurant
• Here are videos to introduce you to Honduras
• Located in South Asia
• Worldwide, they are the most populous democracy, and second largest population with
thousands of ethnic groups.
• India has three of the most populous cities in the world: Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata
• Sample the India experience at Durham’s India Restaurants:
Sitar; Viceroy; Indian Monsoon
• Here are videos to introduce you to India
A popular place to visit -- historic and romantic
• Famous cities such as Rome, Milan, Venice, Florence, Naples
• The Italian Alps dominate the north
• Home of the Italian Renaissance of Michelangelo and other famous artists
• Here is a sampling of Durham’s restaurants for an Italian experience: Maggiano’s; Melo Trattoria; Toast; Gocciolina; Pulcinella’s; Parizade; Bocci Trattoria; Carrabba’s; Cucciolo Osteria; Bel Gusto;
Italian Pizzeria; Trattoria Salve; Pizzeria Toro; Serena Sicilian.
• East African Nation
• Famous vast wildlife preserves, scenic landscapes, beautiful beaches on the Indian Ocean and Masai warriors.
• Durham’s Restaurant, Africa International, will introduce you to dishes of East Africa, and especially Kenya
• Here are videos to introduce you to Kenya
• Nicaragua is a Central America country known as the “land of lakes and volcanoes”.
• It is represented in Durham by the non-profit “Sister Communities of San Ramon”. They focus on:
-- Education and School partnerships
-- Fair Trade products, especially Coffee
• Here are videos to introduce you to Nicaragua and Sister Communities of San Ramon
• This West Africa nation is the most populous country in Africa with over 250 ethnic groups
• Home of ancient kingdoms in West Africa
• Has strong ties with Durham at these stores:
African Land Products, Exotique Boutique
• Peru is in western part of South America and is a tropical country.
• Home of the Incas, one of the oldest Native Indian Civilizations The ruins of Macchu Picchu illustrate this.
• You can enjoy authentic Peruvian foods at these Durham Restaurants: Alpaca; Mi Peru; Luna
• Here are videos to introduce you to Peru
• A nation on the southwest coast of Africa
• It has a tropical climate, with a diverse environment including savannas and rain forests.
• You can go shopping for foods representing Sierra Leone and West Africa at Durham’s Leone International Foods Market
• Here are videos to introduce you to Sierra Leone
• This East Asian nation is very mountainous
• Half of their population of 51 million live in the Seoul capital area, which is the fourth largest metropolitan
economy in the world
• Experience Asian dishes, and especially Korean food, at Durham’s Restaurants: M Kokko, Itaewon Grill
• Here are videos to introduce you to South Korea
• A country in Southeast Asia.
• Noted for lush jungles and beautiful beaches
• Travel descriptions of Thailand describe it as a “food-obsessed” country, which is seen in Durham with
these restaurants in Durham serving Thai food:
Thai at Main Street, Bua Thai, Pad Thai,
Thai Café, Thai 55; Vine Sushi and Thai
• Here are the videos to introduce you to Thailand
• This Southeast Asian nation has jungles and monsoon forests which provide a diverse ecosystem with amazing wildlife.
• The country has rebuilt after the devastation of the years of the Vietnam War
• These Durham Restaurants will provide you an introduction to
Vietnamese dishes: Bahn’s Cuisine; Pho and Poke House; Saigon Grill; Akashi
• Here are the videos to introduce you to Viet Nam
• African nation located in southern part of Africa, and is noted for its beautiful natural scenery, and
history of earlier kingdoms
• You can have the Zimbabwe experience at the only Zimbabwean restaurant in the USA at Durham’s Zimbabwe Restaurant, Zweli’s.
• Here are the videos to introduce you to Zimbabwe
One of our main activities is to create student/teacher/professional exchanges. The greatest expense is travel. Lodging/food/local travel is usually covered by the hosts. Your tax-deductible contribution will help us expand this effort. Know that people who visit other countries on a personal and local level, can develop lifelong friendships. This is part of our Mission and your help is greatly... + More