Chalk Art Contest – sponsored by Wilson Arts
1. Participants must complete registration through the NC Whirligig Festival website.
2. The contest is open to the first 50 participants that complete the contest.
3. The main contact for the submission must be at least 16 years of age.
4. The participants must select one of the following categories:
· Category 1: Children (age 12 or under)
· Category 2: Teens (age 13-17)
· Category 3: Adults, non-artist (18 or older)
· Category 4: Group/Family/Organization
· Category 5: Professional Artist
5. To complete the Chalk Art contest the participants must:
· The chalk art must be an “inclusive” style, that includes a member of the family or friends in the design as part of the final artwork. The more people included the better! Examples include: holding balloons, riding bikes, sailing across water, picking flowers, etc… the art work must include a person in the final photo. Samples are provided in PDF.
· Create an original chalk art outside on a hard surface, driveway, patio or sidewalk at a home or private location. The chalk art will not be completed downtown due to the pandemic. Artist must provide their own chalk.
· The design can be inspired by ideas on the internet or seen in other places; however, the chalk art must be an original creation and created by the participants on the registration form. All designs must be advertisement free. Logos may only be included by organizations. Design may not include any profanity, discriminatory messages or illegal substances. There is no size limit.
· Submit 5 photos of the chalk art including photos of the family/friends drawing the chalk art images and 1 with the members of the family or friends posing in the artwork.
· Submit a time lapse video (max 55 seconds) displaying the creation of the chalk art from the beginning of the drawing to the completed chalk art. Adobe Spark Video is suggested, but not required.
· Participants are encouraged to share their creations on social medial using the #giveitawhirl, #whirligigfestival2020 and tag the Wilson Arts @wilsonarts.
· The deadline for submitting Chalk Art entries is during Whirligig Week on Monday, November 2 at 8 pm.
6. The judges will award 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners. The judges will be comprised of the Wilson Arts staff and festival planning team. The 1st place prize will include a $100 cash prize. Remaining prizes will be provided by the contest sponsor and includes festival merchandise items.
7. The winners will be selected based on creativity, originality and inclusion of family/friends in the chalk art.
8. The winners will be announced during Whirligig Weekend on Saturday, November 7 on the festival’s social media. The festival team will reach out to the winners through the contact information provided on the registration form.
9. Winners may pick up their Prize Pack the afternoon of Saturday, Nov. 7, Sunday, Nov. 8. or make individual appointments with the festival team during the following week. Time is of the essence. Prize packs not claimed by Friday, Nov. 13 will be forfeited.
10. Any questions regarding the contest should be directed to the project coordinator, Dee Dee Oliver with Wilson Arts by calling252-291-4329 or emailing email@example.com