The Marietta Cobb Museum of Art is proud to present Chalktoberfest, a combination of a chalk art festival that is free to the public and Marietta’s premier craft beer festival. Over 80 chalk artists are selected by a jury and invited to create large works of art in Marietta Square. In 2019, the festival had over 100,000 visitors over the weekend.
Chalktoberfest will be located on the historic Marietta Square surrounding Glover Park and will continue down toward the Marietta Cobb Museum of Art building - most streets around the Marietta Square will be closed for the duration. Marietta Square is 15 miles northwest of Atlanta, just off I-75, Exit 265.
The MCMA Chalktoberfest benefits the Marietta Cobb Museum of Art. MCMA is an American Art Museum whose mission is to “build community through art.” For more information on MCMA, please visit our website at www.mariettacobbartmuseum.org.
Take inspiration from the city, state or country in which you live or you consider “home” for this year’s theme: “The World on Pavement.”
HOW TO SUBMIT
Please submit one submission per chalk artist. If you wish to collaborate with another artist or have an assistant on your chalk block, they must apply separately. There are ways to link you in the questionnaire.
Please submit 3 examples of your previous chalk work that has been completed after January 2016. The deadline for submission is April 1, 2020. Images should be in JPG format. (Due to the earlier date of the submission you are not required to submit concept images of what you would like to do this year.)
HOW WILL YOU FIND OUT IF YOU HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED?
Chalktoberfest will be juried by a committee and accepted/denied artists will receive notification via email. Contracts will be sent via email to accepted artists by May 22, 2020. If you have not been contacted by that date, please contact Rachel Tunnicliffe, 770-528-1444 X13 or email@example.com.
If you are chosen as one of our professional artists for this event and sign a contract, you are expected to attend the festival. However, if an emergency should arise, please contact Sally Macaulay via phone 770-528-1444 X14 and email firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP to discuss your inability to participate.
Accepted artists will be asked to submit 2 concept images of what you propose to do at this year’s festival, by September 1st. You will receive reminders via email. Please ask if you have any questions before you submit your sketch/design.
Your work must be family-friendly - no nudity, profanity, explicit images, political statements or violence is permitted. We will not permit multiple artists to produce the same piece. We recommend that you submit images quickly once you know that you are accepted.
Rachel Tunnicliffe, 770-528-1444 X13 or email@example.com
ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF TERMS
By submitting my application via Eventeny.com, I hereby make my application to participate in the 2020 MCMA Chalktoberfest event at the Marietta Square. I have read, understood and agree to abide by the rules and regulations set forth and other rules as may be established and presented at my acceptance. I release and forever discharge the 2020 MCMA Chalktoberfest, the City of Marietta, Marietta Cobb Museum of Art and its staff from any responsibility, personal liability, loss, claims or damages arising out of, or in conjunction with the 2020 MCMA Chalktoberfest event.
INFORMATION, INSTRUCTIONS AND RULES:
1. Artists can come from anywhere in the world. Artists from outside of the USA must be able to obtain a travel visa to attend the festival.
2. The standard block size is 10’ x 10’. There are a limited number of additional block sizes and vertical boards. Please select the block size you would PREFER. Final decision on block allocation is decided by the Chalktoberfest Jury Committee. Be aware, if you are chosen to participate in the festival and requested a larger block or vertical board, you may be asked to default to a 10’ x 10’ block due to limited availability.
3. Artist TRAVEL stipends will be awarded based on distance traveled and availability of funds. The travel stipend is capped at $500.00. This stipend should cover airfare, airport transfers and rental car. If your stipend does not cover your expenses, please contact us with your receipts. We do not want artists to be out of pocket for their travel expenses.
4. Hotel - MCMA provides and pays the hotel stay. USA artists are provided with three (3) nights, Friday, October 9 through Sunday, October 11, 2020. INTERNATIONAL artists are provided with four (4) nights, Thursday, October 8 through Sunday, October 11, 2020. If you require any additional nights such as Thursday 8 (USA artists), the additional cost is your responsibility and a discounted rate of $50 will be deducted from your stipend. If you do not need a hotel for Sunday night, October 13, 2019, please notify us in your application.
5. ARTISTS ARE REQUIRED TO ROOM TOGETHER to save costs. Rooms have two queen or one king bed, as per your request. If you choose to have your own room, or have a non-artist stay with you, then a discounted rate of $50 per night will be deducted from your stipend. MCMA will do all in our power to accommodate hotel accommodation requests.
6. Accepted chalk artists will be provided with food, t-shirts and accommodation for the weekend. Unfortunately, the MCMA is not able to provide food, t-shirts and accommodation for assistants, friends and family members. Only accepted Chalk Artists will be permitted in to the Artist Hospitality tent. As per item 3 above, should you wish to share your room with someone other than the accepted chalk artists, then a discounted rate of $50 per night will be deducted from your stipend. If you would like to have an assistant or collaborate with another chalk artist, they will need to submit a separate application.
7. Artists are required to attend the Artist/Sponsor Reception on Friday, October 9, 2020, at 6:00 pm at the MCMA. Dinner, drinks, music and fellowship will be abundant. The reception is a great time to catch up with your fellow artists and meet your sponsor.
8. Artists must arrive on time and stay for the duration of the festival and/or until their piece is completed. If you do not complete your piece or if you do not remain on site until the festival is over, you will forfeit part, if not all, of your travel stipend at the Director’s discretion.
9. Dietary needs - MCMA will provide meals to our professional artists. We do our very best to accommodate the dietary needs of our artists; however, as our food is often donated, we cannot guarantee that your specific needs will be met.
10. Due to the results of the 2019 Chalk Artist Survey, the People’s Choice Award competition will not be held this year. The prize money funds have been allocated to help us with the rising cost of artist hospitality.
11. The surface of the streets is black asphalt. White and black tempera will be provided by MCMA for your chalk block base. A tempera base MUST be used before you start on your piece. We understand that 3D artwork might have areas that do not use tempera.
12. 10x10 artwork needs to fill the whole block.
13. Artist Blocks will be mapped out and assigned by the MCMA according to sizes previously determined. MCMA requests help by the artists to tape the blocks on Friday. Artists must tape and paint the tempera on base their own block with the tape and paint provided.
14. Artists are responsible for all materials including, but not limited to chalk, gloves, paper towels, blending tools, baby wipes, etc. The MCMA will provide tempera base, tape, pans and rollers.
15. The festival takes place rain or shine. Artists will be notified of the plan to cover the artwork in the event of rain. Artists must help to layout the tarpaulin between the blocks on Friday, PRIOR TO BEGINNING WORK.
16. Artists are required to wear the current year’s Chalktoberfest t-shirt, provided by MCMA, for the duration of the festival. Two t-shirts will be provided to the artist; one for each day of the festival.
17. Artist agrees to permit MCMA to use their name, website, social media, and artwork images for any promotional purposes for this and/or future festivals.
The Marietta Cobb Museum of Art is proud to present Chalktoberfest, an exciting combination of our annual Chalk Art Festival with our Craft Beer Festival.
Enjoy your afternoon sampling craft beers, live music from local artists, watching professional Chalk Artists chalk the streets and eating great food at the beautiful downtown square of Marietta. A great day out for all the family, the Chalk Art Festival is free to attend. All proceeds go to the Marietta Cobb Museum of Art.
Chalktoberfest Photograph Credits: Sharyn Chan, Craig Houdeshell, Rachel Tunnicliffe, Erin Woodman & Madeline Beck