Community Chalk Competition Entry
Organized by Marietta Cobb Museum of Art
Deadline: Oct 10, 2019 5:00 pm
Oct 13, 2019 11:00 am - Oct 13, 2019 3:00 pm
Application submission does not guarantee approval by the organizer.
People are checking this event out. Over 100 people have viewed it this week.
The Community Chalk Competition is a chance for local artists to create their own chalk art at Chalktoberfest and be considered for awards. There are divisions for individual artists and for school teams. Each division is divided by age group, and three prizes are awarded within each division.
Artists under the age of six (or older artists who aren’t interested in competing) are welcome to draw in the community chalk area near the Creative Kids Activity Zone.
DATE: Sunday, October 13, 2019 (Sunday! Saturday is the Craft Beer Festival.)
LOCATION: East Park Square (in front of the courthouses)
School Teams Chalking Time: 11:00am - 1:00pm
School Teams Judging: 1:00-1:25pm
School Teams Awards: 1:30pm
Individual Chalking Time: 11:00am – 3:00pm
Individual Judging: 3:00-3:40pm
Individual Awards: 3:45pm
Youth: Ages 6-12
Teen: Ages 13-17
Adult: Ages 18+
SCHOOL TEAM DIVISIONS
Elementary: Grades K-5
Middle: Grades 6-8
High: Grades 9-12
|Youth Division (ages 6-12)
|Teen Division (ages 13-17)
|Adult Student (18+ with ID)
|Adult Division (ages 18+)
|School Team (Title 1)
INFORMATION AND RULES
Please read this information carefully. Artists who do not follow these rules will be asked to leave the competition and their work will not be considered for awards.
SPACES: Your square will be a random section of the road and may contain painted traffic lines, cracks, or other textures. Consider them artistic challenges. YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO SWAP SPACES.
ON-SITE REGISTRATION: Online registration closes at 5:00pm on Thursday, October 10. You can register at the festival only if space is still available in your division.
THINGS TO BRING: A towel (to sit or kneel on), a hat, a drink, a snack, sunscreen, and any extra chalking supplies you want to work with. This can include additional colors of chalk, charcoal, and chalk pastels; paintbrushes for blending; spray bottles of water; or a stencil, drawing, or photograph to work from. PLEASE DO NOT BRING ANY KIND OF PAINT. (Yes, the professional artists use paint under their chalk, but it's a special diluted paint that we know will come off of the street. Let's not upset the City.)
REFUNDS: There are no refunds. Chalktoberfest is a rain or shine event, and so is the chalk competition. If it looks like it might be wet, I recommend bringing a good hat and a rain jacket. If you are absent from the event, you may pick up your chalk at MCMA during business hours no later than Friday, October 18.
SHIRTS: Shirts: Chalktoberfest t-shirts will be available for $10 at both festival Info Booths.
1. Registration includes a 48-pack of Crayola sidewalk chalk.
2. Please include the Team Coordinator’s name under “Guardian’s Name” during registration.
3. Entry fee is $25 (or $20 if you are a Title 1 School).
4. Team chalk blocks are 5ft x 5ft.
5. Each team is limited to 10 students.
6. Each school is limited to one team.
7. Chalking time is 11:00am – 1:00pm. Do not try to sign in or start chalking before 10:45am.
8. Students must create their own work. Adults may make suggestions, but are not allowed to help draw.
9. Tents and chairs for family members are allowed, but no one can crowd another team’s space or spread out beyond the rope designating the School Teams area.
10. Once again, NO PAINT ALLOWED.
1. Registration includes a 24-pack of Crayola sidewalk chalk.
2. Youth Division (ages 6-12) spaces are 3ft x 3ft. The entry fee is $10.
3. Teen Division (ages 13-17) spaces are 4ft x 4ft. The entry fee is $15.
4. Adult Division (ages 18+) spaces are 5ft x 5ft. The entry fee is $25 ($20 with valid Student ID).
5. Chalking time is 11:00am – 3:00pm. Do not try to sign in or start chalking before 10:45am.
6. Youth and Teen artists must create their own work. Guardians are not allowed to help draw.
7. You may have ONE (1) assistant help you create your chalk art. Your assistant must be in the same age group as you. (For instance, a teenager can't assist a 7-year-old.) Please note that all prizes are intended for one person and may be difficult to split, so make sure that you and your assistant are okay sharing a prize if you win an award.
8. Once again, NO PAINT ALLOWED.
The Marietta/Cobb Museum of Art is proud to present Chalktoberfest, an exciting combination of their annual Chalk Art Festival with Marietta's premier Craft Beer Festival. In 2018 over 100,000 visitors attended the festival.
Enjoy your afternoon watching professional Chalk Artists chalk the streets, sampling craft beers, live music from local artists, and eating great food at the beautiful downtown square of Marietta. A great day out for all the family, the Chalk Festival is free to attend. All proceeds go to the Marietta Cobb Museum of Art.
2018 Chalktoberfest Photograph Credits: Sharyn Chan, Craig Houdeshell, Gina Hartl, Rachel Tunnicliffe, Erin Woodman.